05 June, 2008

Never Again


Argh! I am close to finishing the Baby Quilt and I want to rip out what is left of my hormone ravaged hair. For a quilt that is less than 50 inches square and free motion quilted I should not have this many thread clippings. Remind me to never again use Sulky variegated cotton ever again.

I used to love this thread. I don't know if it is the machine or if the thread has changed, but I have had no luck with this thread on the last 3 quilts I quilted with it. I've played around the tension, different weights of thread, and my speed. The thread continually splits and so I am constantly cutting and rethreading. And then I am left with this mess of threads at the end of the quilt.

On the flip side, if it is my machine... maybe that means I can convince my Hubby that I need a Bernina with a stitch regulator for quilting? Hmm. Well, maybe I should try my next quilt with a different thread first.

3 comments:

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

You really do need the Bernina. Really. They're awesome. I paid more for it than I paid for my car, which is correct. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes you NEED the Bernina. If, however, that plan gets waylaid for a while, have you tried the conditioning solution that you can put on the spool of thread before using it? It might help because it is supposed to keep fraying and breaking to a minimum.

Anyway, I'm glad you are getting a chance to work on the quilt. It is going to be fantastic!

Anonymous said...

While I have a Bernina 1260 and I love it, I have another suggestion. Try changing your needle. Last time I had Bernie in for service and complained about some wonky stitching, the tech said I needed a bigger sized needle so the thread would lay better in that groove down the needle, and in the hole. Seems I had bought a bunch of smaller needles to take a machine quilting class--we were told to buy the smallest needles we could find as we would be working with silk thread. I just figured if I could get my regular thread through the eye, it must be fine.
Also, I don't think I've ever tried Sulky thread--I use Aurofil or Mettler, and I have some older heavier YLI that Bernie doesn't really care for. She likes 50 weight thread.
Glenda in Florida