01 May, 2009

Project Improv Quilt

Man, this was a beast to finish!  I was stuck for a while and didn't want to touch this.  My brain couldn't figure out how to do those white triangles on the edges and how to get the top together without inset seams.  Finally, after quite a few naps I got the damn thing done.  And there are still inset seams.

This is my Project Improv quilt.  I wanted to try something new.  Honestly, this isn't that new. The blocks were made exactly as you would a wonky log cabin, only with three sides.  I used a template to trim each block to size. The layout is no different than a very traditional quilt called Thousand Pyramids.  Sometimes you don't need to throw out the old when you want something new.  

AmandaJean inspired this multi-coloured look with her Snippets quilt. The entire top was made from scraps/stash.  That being said, I realized that I have no white batting so I still need to go shopping!

10 comments:

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

I love this. You are so talented.

Vicki said...

it looks wonderful!

Amy @ Park City Girl said...

WOW! It's amazing! I love your line -- "Sometimes you don't need to throw out the old when you want something new." It's so true! Love your colors and the white makes it pop :) Can't wait to see it quilted - no rush though :)

I Love Baby Quilts! said...

Lovely! Very fresh and new.

Jackie Russell said...

It looks amazing!

amandajean said...

i'm so impressed! it's amazing! i can imagine that those side triangles would be buggers. you did great!

Cynthia said...

Fantastic! Nothing like I had pictured in my mind when I saw the original block. Most excellent.

True Blue Nana said...

I can't imagine how you got that together but it looks great.

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

Very interesting and lovely. I bet it was a bugger to piece.

jacquie said...

great work! totally drew me in when i saw it on flickr.