13 January, 2010

Quilt Along Week 7 - All Done

I'm done! For a while I was calling this quilt Pinstripes, but after finishing it and seeing that it doesn't match my original concept I am simply calling it Gratitude II. When I say it doesn't match my original concept, I mean that it is busier than expected and has less of the subtlety that my Pinstripe suit inspiration.  I still like it and I know it will be quite cosy in our eventual finished basement.

The back is a simple mix of three of my favourite yellows. Arcadia, a Denyse Schmidt Katie Jump Rope, and this fantastic yellow and grey leaf pattern whose name escapes me. I'm going to get a label on there eventually, using the scraps from the front strips to frame it.  I promise I'll share it when I do complete it.

The binding was an Amy Butler Midwest Modern.  I used a few of her prints on the front, so I knew that the binding would be perfect.  It was nice to use such a soft print to finish it off. I didn't want to use a blue print, as would be expected, because I thought they were standing out quite a bit already.
 
Finally, the quilting. Particularly because the top ended up rather busy, whatever I did for quilting was just going to get lost.  So I went with the loopy quilting found here instead of stippling.  And honestly, why wouldn't you?  Loopy is so much easier than stippling. It's fast and perfectly contrasts the angles of the design.

Thank-you so much for your support in this Quilt Along. I'll admit, I'd hoped more of you would participate after such a good response to Gratitude.  Then again, there was the little break life brought our family. And when I did re-start this?  Just before Christmas?  Not my smartest move. But I am so pleased with the results I've seen from those of you that have participated.

Over on Flickr, baileygirl_5 posted her fabric choices and the beginning of her strip sets. I love where she is going with this, using darks as her background and lights as her accents.  Nice twist!

Elle in Da Coop is an old quilting friend and she was inspired to tackle another project on her always growing list.  Look what picking similar colours to mine can do when you make the background pieces just a little more subdued. Browse around her December posts to see what she also did on the back and with all the leftover pieces. Fantastic!

And while there are a few more that have picked fabric or cut fabric, here is another set of blocks that have been started.  Diane at Life Scraps used a few of the same fabrics which I used, but with a totally different effect.

If you come back to this at some point in the future, be sure to let me know, I would love to see what you create. Thanks for Quilting Along with me!


13 comments:

Diane said...

Cheryl, that turned out beautiful! It looks so different from the original with the darker blues in it!

Thanks so much for hosting this and supporting us all in this project! I love my quilt and thank you for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt! I hope to oneday participate in one of your great projects.

Katie B said...

I love the finished product! I'm definite going to try the loopy quilting soon. Thanks for the quilt-along, Cheryl. I wasn't able to participate in real time (it was the pre-Christmas busy-ness that prevented me), but I really feel like I learned a lot, especially from your discussion of color and value.

elle said...

Thanks Cheryl! Ever since my New York loft experience in your basement I've aspired to higher things. Baileygirl's is delicious, I'd add a pinch of that red/orange and say dinner is served! Diane's has a totally different feel but another good casserole. I do probably like your first quilt better but the colour combo was great in the second, just maybe a lighter hand with the stirring! But loops, yes; I should pin that suggestion on my top for when I get 'aroundtuit'! I was so glad to be quilting along with you all! 8^)

Victoria said...

The finished quilt looks great, and I adore the loopy quilting!

Unknown said...

it looks fantastic, love your colour choice.

Molly said...

I love your quilt! I am embroidering a little on my quilt top and then I can't wait to baste and quilt. I will send you a picture when it's all done so it may be a week or sooooo. I'm just tickled at how it's turning out! Thanks for the great tutorials!

Bison Girl said...

Oooh I love the fabrics!

A totally different topic - thank you so much for the "Birth House" book recommendation! I checked it out from the library and read it on vacation a few weeks ago and it was WONDERFUL!

Next up is "Childproofing Your Marriage" :)
Thanks again!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Pretty! I like the binding.

Hey, you mentioned in my video game quilt post that you would like to try one. Well I just updated the post with a link to a super mario quilt block if you'd like to try!

Tonya said...

It looks great. I love the color combination.

Amanda Jean said...

your quilt is lovely!!! i'm excited to start mine. thanks for hosting the quilt along.

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Hi! I just found you through Amanda Jean's site! I LOVE this wonky quilt of yours and your tutorial is great! I am stoked to try it but wanted to ask you if you think it can be done with scraps? I just finished going through my scrap basket and separated them into three groups. 1. Small pieces that can be cut into either 2" or 2.5" squares. 2. Strips of all widths and lengths. 3. Larger pieces of scraps but not a full measurement you know? I was thinking of trying for the latter or #3. You can come to my blog and see what I have done so far with two quilts from my scrap basket. Thanks again and can't wait to read your blog more!

www.coffeebeansdailies.blogspot.com

Summer said...

Thanks so much for this quilt along and your tutorials. I used this idea for my very first quilt. I put some pictures up on my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31056658@N08/5885842095/

It looks a little neon in the photos - it's much more subtle in real life. :)