30 April, 2010

Quilt Canada in Full Swing

Oh wow, I am so tired. And, to be honest, a little overwhelmed with the thoughts and designs swirling around in my head. There are still a few days left at Quilt Canada. I have two more events and a few lectures to attend. I'm not sure I can take all the stimulation!

I know many people come to quilt shows and take away some neat ideas, a little confidence, and probably a lot of merchandise. I'm coming away from this week with new colleagues, tonnes of design ideas, a new business venture, and some confusion. It's going to take me a bit of time to digest it all.

In the meantime, here is a little report so far. See that guy there? That's Mark Lipinski, with his arm around me (and my co-chair). He is seriously one of the nicest men I've ever met, or maybe his husband is. Either way, we had a great time being entertaining by Mark on two occasions. His trunk show is part stand-up routine and he had nearly everyone in tears. You need to hear the girdle story yourself  to fully understand. And Mark is already asking when he can come back, but he wants to teach next time.

In addition to the trunk show Mark also spoke at our Professional Development Conference. He was a great start to the day and got us all thinking, a lot. For the next day and a half we discussed branding, marketing, finding balance, taxes, and inspiration. The group was honest with each other and I think we had some great discussions. I only hope that many others got as much out of it as we put in. 
Aside from our evening events, my attempts to direct a fashion show, and that whole merchant mall and quilt show, I had a few other tasks to keep me busy. I sent Mark's quilts back home for him. So, for two days my living room was filled with his quilts. When I was refolding and packing his quilts I saw this label. I hope you don't mind me sharing, Mark!

I'll report back with more next week. And stay tuned for more details on an upcoming adventure.

5 comments:

Dale Anne Potter said...

He's a riot isn't he???!!!
We have been online friends since the late 90's and finally met in Moose Jaw nearly 2 years ago.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Quilt Canada looks awesome. Looking forward to more details. That is, when you have the energy to sit down and share them :)

Lee D said...

sorry we missed each other once again. I went down again this morning with my daughter to view the heritage quilts. home for a quick bit and then out to Chestermere to help set up for the quilt show there. I did run into 4 expat quilting friends I hadn't seen in many years. one never knows who you will find at a conference! one of these days we will get together!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your getting so inspired at Quilt Canada! LOL to the quilt label :)

elle said...

Great picture!