20 April, 2010

Workshop in Progress - April 21

So, in the Workshop this week I wanted to talk scraps. This is the bag of brand new scraps left over from piecing my Dad's quilt. I'll be honest, it makes me kind of giddy to look at it. I almost wish there were more!

My question for you is about selvages. I never used to keep them, but I do now. For those of you that collect, do you like partials, or does the entire row of text and dots need to be there? And how much of the actual fabric is necessary to cut off with the selvage?

Now, on to the rest of you.

Elle is back at her original WIP project. Her Wind and Water piece seems softer to me now. I love watching it evolve.

Somehow I missed the naming of this quilt, but remember we helped Felicity on the name game. Check out this post to see what she went with.

Next week I will be well and truly insane with all the goings on for Quilt Canada. If you are around next week, find me - I'm the one on the crutches with the long black hair. I am chairing the Professional Development Conference and helping out at all evening events. I hope to see you!

Because I will be away, I've asked Lesly at Pickle Dish to host the workshop. Make sure to check in with her next Wednesday. And if you have any posts get them up there in the blogosphere and let her know. 

8 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

haha. Funny you should ask about selvages. As I am up to my eyeballs in selvages. I have been fortunate to be the recipient of bags of donated selvages, along with my own. Why oh why do I feel the need to "categorize" them? Oh, well. Separate issue.

This is what I prefer. I like 1 1/4to 1 1/2 inches of fabric including the selvage. I don't care if it is partial but for it to work for my projects it needs to have wording and/or color dots. I like having a bit of the fabric showing. I don't save the selvage from the other side of the fabric.

Does that help with the selvage question? Can you come help sort mine? http://aroundtheblockdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/wordless-wednesday-selvaging-my-sanity.html

felicity said...

Oh I totally forgot to let you know that I'd settled on a name! Thanks for checking in, Cheryl!

I don't save selvedges - just can't get my head around it quite yet. I'm still figuring out how to deal with my scraps. Given that I don't tend to go into that bin except to make random blocks, I am pretty much settled on the idea of getting in there and just chopping it up into strips or squares.

Vals Quilting said...

Hi Cheryl, I'll be at Quilt Canada also, keep your eye open for me too :) I'm there for sure Thursday night 8-10 and sometime on Wed but not sure yet!

Valerie

Andrea said...

Omg you're still on Crutches??? I had no idea you poor thing!!! Can you at least slap a wheelchair sticker on your car and get good parking?? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've not really got any selvedges because I only really buy FQs and I'd want the entire text.

Have fun at Quilt Canada :)

Lesly said...

I don't keep selvedges because I don't like the way they look in projects, which is, I know, against the whole current trend. What can I say, I'm old-fashioned. I keep meaning to save them for other people, but I always forget. Maybe writing about this will help me remember.

kait. said...

I definitely save my selvedges and sadly think of all the yard of fabric I used before I knew you could even do anything with them! My aunt and her friend graciously saved theirs for me but upon receiving them, they cut off the smallest amount possible (only a half inch or so) so I won't be able to use many of them :( I usually cut between an inch and an inch and a half off, I don't mind if the text or dots are in full, and I save both sides.

I can't wait to put them all together in a spiderweb quilt!

Katy said...

I am yet another that saves and collects selvages from others. I usually ask for the typical 1" to 1 1/2" cut off. I use both sides of the selvage in a few current string quilts that I am making for my quilting group. All text, some text, color dots, I take it all!

Always,
Katy