02 April, 2014

The Last Photo


This is the last photo taken with my trusty camera, a Canon G11. I've had that camera for over 4 years now. It replaced the one I bought to replace the one I dipped in the Sea of Cortez a little over 5 years ago. This one met it's untimely demise in that pool there, right after the sun officially set.

Sigh.

Frankly, it was time for a new camera. The software was all wonky and the lens had a small scratch. I was contemplating an upgrade to a proper DSLR anyway. But an unceremonious flinging out of my bag as I go to put it on my shoulder was not my plan for retirement. I've got a short term solution in place, but it is time for the full upgrade. Wee!

In related news, that pic was taken in Turks and Caicos a month ago. Hubby and I escaped for our first trip away together - not work or wedding related - since our honeymoon twelve years ago. It was a trip we needed in so many ways. And while it pained me not to have a camera for the rest of the trip (I dunked mine on day 2) it was also kind of freeing. I stopped thinking about capturing moments and actually lived them. That was what we needed as a couple. And really, how many pictures of turquoise waters does one need?




5 comments:

Julierose said...

ohmygosh--what lovely shots! i am in need of any "warm" picture locales what with our snowy cold and blustery April here in SE CT---Come on Springtime--thanks, hugs, Julierose

mjb said...

Remember in film cameras when the last photo was a throw-away shot so you could send your film to be developed, and you didn't know how many exactly you'd get after 36 pictures on the roll anyway? That's what your title made me think of.

Leanne said...

I am glad you got the holiday, pictures are optional, the good ones should be stuck in your head anyway.

Bower Bird Patch said...

Thanks for the post Cheryl. I too, always find it a fine balance between having fun taking photos while on holidays and actually having the holiday. Sometimes it can be very freeing to just leave the camera behind and remember the images instead....but that said.....I'm on holiday in Portugal right now, and my camera is going everywhere with me.....hehehehe.....

sulu-design said...

I'm so sorry to hear your camera is gone, but if it had to go, what a way to go! Wow.

I bet you two had an amazing time away together. It looks like a gorgeous location.

I hope you're refreshed and happy with that recent dose of vitamin D!