21 August, 2015

Copying a T-Shirt


Pardon me, but I'm about to get all cocky.

Not only did I make this t-shirt (I'm still totally amazed that I am making clothes). But I did so without a pattern. All I did was take a favourite t-shirt and copy it.

Now let's bring down the cockiness a bit. It is only 2 pieces, a front and a back. And it is merely hemmed, not finished in any fancy way. But still. I'm totally impressed with myself.

To make the shirt I took the original, folded it in half vertically, and traced the outline on a sheet of freezer paper. Then I added seam allowance and 3/4'' for hemming. Wash fabric, fold in half, cut, sew. I did get my machine even threaded with a twin needle, then nearly broke my machine trying to use. Needless to say, the hemming isn't great, but it is neat.

The best part? I will actually wear this.

7 comments:

Teje said...

Hi! This is beautiful shirt! I like to make cloths like you did this and you know that now they sell t-shirts without any finishing in the edgges. I have made my favourite blouse with white linen by cutting just two pieces like you did. Then I sew by hand white crochet doily on the front piece. x Teje

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am so terrified to make clothes in fear of wasting the fabric from errors.
Kimberly

Leanne said...

It's lovely, good for you!

Patti said...

Great T-shirt!! I think there's room for a little cockiness. It was totally successful!

Karen said...

Bravo! Love the shirt--and the hat, too!

lindaroo said...

I'd wear it, too! Great fabric!

Suzanne said...

Kudos to you!